Tuesday 25 September 2012

the great gatsby

I read The Great Gatsby for a piece of coursework in A-Level English and in my own personal opinion it was quite a dull book, which from start to finish, never really excited me. I will also admit that there were plenty of times throughout the novel when I had no idea what was really going on. However on holiday my friend was reading the book out of choice and she told me that it was being made into a movie later this year. The movie is directed by Baz Luhrmann, of Moulin Rouge fame, who is the last director I would have ever considered to direct The Great Gatsby. Yet when you watch the trailer, which is so over the top and totally dramatic, the strange pairing seems to make sense. The story no longer seems dull and boring but instead fun and exciting. It is also set in 1920s Manhattan, which has to be one of my favourite eras for costumes and fashion. Luhrmann seems to have injected some of his Moulin Rouge magic into the film, which after reading reviews F.Scott Fitzergerald fans are not too happy about, but to tell you the truth, it has made the film exciting and something that might actually be worth seeing. With big name actors like Leonardo Dicaprio playing Gatsby alongside Toby Maguire and Carey Mulligan the film might not be all that bad.



I guess we will just have to wait till Christmas to see if the movie is as good and as spectacular as the trailer makes out. And maybe this time I might actually understand what is going on!

Enjoy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment